Coachella Valley...you have undoubtedly seen the news that Solyndra, a domestic solar panel manufacturer that received a Department of Energy (DOE) loan guarantee, recently filed for bankruptcy.
Accompanying this unfortunate news are wild inaccuracies and blatant misstatements about solar energy’s promise and the state of the solar industry.
Solyndra’s downfall is not indicative of what’s otherwise happening in the solar industry and it is disturbing that some politicians and pundits are using this unfortunate situation as an excuse to heap unwarranted criticism on solar.
Here are the facts about solar that remain unchanged:
- The solar industry employs more than 100,000 Americans, more than twice as many as in 2009. They work at more than 5,000 companies, the vast majority being small businesses, in all 50 states.
- The U.S. solar industry grew by 69% in 2011, making it one of the fastest-growing sectors in the U.S. economy.
- Since the beginning of 2010, the price of solar panels has dropped by 30%, and costs continue to fall making solar an even more viable choice for residential and business customers.
- The U.S. was a net exporter of solar products in 2010 by $2 billion. We were even a net exporter to China.
- Solar power in the U.S. now exceeds 3,100 megawatts (MW), enough to power more than 630,000 homes.
- Continued industry growth enhances our energy security and diversifies our domestic energy portfolio.
The solar industry is growing, and for good reason. It is not going to be stopped by myths and false rumors.
Coachella Valley’s Reliable Solar Energy Installer
Since 2006, Renova Energy has led the fight to give the Coachella Valley clean, efficient, and affordable energy. Our experienced and knowledgeable technicians provide the quality customer service our clients expect and deserve. Contact us today to get a solar installation quote for your home or business.